RDX can be obtained from C-4 explosives with the use of gasoline. It can be used as a booster
explosive for detonators or as a high explosive charge.
* C-4 explosive
* 2 - pint glass jars, wide mouth
* Paper towels
* Stirring rod (glass or wood)
* Ceramic or glass dish
* Heat source
NOTE: Water, Ceramic or glass dish, pan, & heat source are all optional. The RDX can be air dried
1. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons (15 grams) of C-4 explosive in one of the pint jars. Add 1 cup (240
milliliters) of gasoline.
NOTE: These quantities can be increased to obtain more RDX. For example, use 2 gallons of gasoline
per 1 cup of C-4.
2. Knead and stir the C-4 with the rod until the C-4 has broken down into small particles. Allow
mixture to stand for 1/2 hour.
3. Stir the mixture again until a fine white powder remains on the bottom of the jar.
4. Filter the mixture through a paper towel into the other glass jar. Wash the particles collected on
the paper towel with 1/2 cup (120 milliliters) of gasoline. Discard the waste liquid.
5. Place the RDX particles in a glass or ceramic dish. Set the dish in a pan of hot water, not
boiling and dry for a period of 1 hour.
NOTE: The RDX particles may be air dried for a period of 2 to 3 hours.