A moist explosive mixture can be made from fine aluminum powder combined with carbon tetrachloride or
tetrachloroethylene. This explosive can be detonated with a blasting cap.
Material Required Source
Fine aluminum bronzing powder Paint store
Carbon Tetrachloride Pharmacy, or fire
or extinguisher fluid
tetrachloroethylene Dry cleaners, pharmacy
Stirring rod (wood)
Mixing container (bowl, bucket, etc.)
Measuring container (cup, tablespoon, etc.)
Storage container (jar, can, etc.)
Pipe, can or jar
1. Measure out two parts aluminum powder to one part carbon tetrachloride or tetrachlorethylene
liquid into mixing container, adding liquid to powder while stirring with the wooden rod.
2. Stir until the mixture becomes the consistency of honey syrup.
CAUTION: Fumes from the liquid are dangerous and should not be inhaled.
3. Store explosive in a jar or similar water proof container until ready to use. The liquid in the
mixture evaporates quicky when not confined.
NOTE: Mixture will detonate in this manner for a period of 72 hours.
How to Use:
1. Pour this mixture into an iron or steel pipe which has an end cap threaded on one end. If a pipe
is not available, you may use a dry tin can or glass jar.
2. Insert blasting cap just beneath the surface of the explosive mix.
NOTE: Confining the open end of the container will add to the effectiveness of the explosive.